Federal Government, on Wednesday approved the take-off of eight new private universities across the country.
The decision was taken at a meeting of the Federal Executive Council, FEC, presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The decision was announced by the Minister of State for Education, Professor Anthony Anwuka at the end of the FEC meeting
Anwuka listed the new Universities to include:
- Anchor University, Ayobo, Lagos
- Arthur Jarvis Akpabuyo University, Calabar, Cross River
- Clifford University, Owerinta, Abia
- Coal City University, Enugu
- Crown Hill University, Kwara
- Dominican University, Ibadan, Oyo
- Kola Daisy University, Ibadan, Oyo
- Legacy University, Okija, Anambra
Onwuka said the new institutions were given three years provisional license and are to be mentored by older ones.
He said Anchor University will be mentored by the University of Lagos, Jarvis University by the University of Calabar and Clifford University by the University of Agriculture, Umudike.
Coal city University will be mentored by the University of Nigeria Nsukka; Crown Hill University by the University of Ilorin; while the two new universities in Oyo State, Kola Daisy and Dominican universities, will be mentored by the University of Ibadan.