Manchester United’s players are the highest paid footballers in world, earning an average annual salary of £5.77million.
This was determined after a survey of almost 10,000 sportsmen at 333 teams in seven sports across 17 of the world’s richest leagues.
European giants, Barcelona, Manchester City, Real Madrid and Chelsea make up the football top five, but basketball sides, Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Yankees and LA Clippers topped them all.
According to the Global Sports Salary Survey (GSSS), the average Premier League player earns £2.4m a year – double of what their counterparts in La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga earn.
Top 10 best-paid sports teams (average annual salary)
1) Cleveland Cavaliers (£6.54m)
2) New York Yankees (£5.81m)
3) LA Clippers (£5.78m)
4) Manchester United (£5.77m)
5) Barcelona (£5.64m)
6) Portland Trail Blazers (£5.59m)
7) Memphis Grizzlies (£5.51m)
8) Dallas Mavericks (£5.50m)
9) Manchester City (£5.42m)
10) Orlando Magic (£5.38m)
Top 10 best-paid footballers (annual salary)
1) Cristiano Ronaldo – Real Madrid (£18.98m)
2) Lionel Messi – Barcelona (£18.98m)
3) Gareth Bale – Real Madrid (£18.2m)
4) Hulk Shanghai SIPG (£16.64m)
5) Paul Pogba – Man United (£15.51m)
6) Graziano Pelle Shangdong Lueng (£14.2m)
7) Ezequiel Lavezzi Hebei China Fortune (£13.5m)
8) Wayne Rooney – Man United (£13.5m)
9) Neymar – Barcelona (£13.4m)
10) Zlatan Ibrahimovic – Man United (£13m)